Measuring a Roof
Calculate the square footage of a roof, or how many squares is your roof? A roofing square measures 10 by 10 feet, covering an area of 100 square feet.
A simple process which will not require having to take measurements on top of the roof. This method works well for gable and hip roofs and calculates the square footage of a roof. Once you know the square footage it is easy to calculate the amount of plywood, felt, shingles, or any other roofing materials needed.
Example calculation:slope = 6 : 12 = 1.1180 slope factor
building length = 40'
building width = 36'
eave overhang = 24"
gable overhang = 12"
building length + gable overhangs = 42'
building width + eaves = 40'
42 * 40 * 1.1180 = 1,878.24 sq ft
This roof has an area of 1878.24 ft²
Divide this by 100 to get the amount of roofing squares.
1878.24 ÷ 100 = 18.78
Number of squares = 18.8
- building length in feet and inches
- building width in feet and inches
- overhang of eave in inches
- gable overhang in inches
- roof pitch inches per foot
- square footage
- number of squares
- Exterior Wall Sheathing + Cost Calculator
- Gable Wall Upper Plate Length
- Gable (Rake) Wall Framing - Wall Height
- Plywood or OSB Sheathing Cost Comparing Calculator
- Plywood Sheathing # of Sheets for Wall or Floor Calculator
- Roof Truss Height
- Steel Stud Wall
- Stud Count
- Stud Length Increase - Gable Wall Framing
- Stud Wall Framing Calculator + Cost
- Sub Floor Material Calculator
- Stud Wall Framing Material Calculator
- Wall Framing Calculator (mulitple walls)
- Wall Section, Stud and Plate Cost (Metric)
- Deck Material plus Cost for Joist and Decking
- Deck Material, Joist plus Decking
- Number of Pales Needed for a Deck Railing
- Drop in Inches from a Slope in a Percentage
- Stair Riser Height
- Rough Framing, Stairs Material Plus Cost
- Number of Stair Risers Based on Building Code
- Stair Design
- Stair Slope in Degrees and Rise and Run Relationships
- Stair Well Floor Opening Size
- Stringer Length