Exterior Wall Sheathing + Cost Calculator
Easy to use Construction Materials Calculator
Quite often you need an engineering degree to use some of the available calculators. We have tried to make it a simpler process so that most people should be able to use these calculators.
To calculate the number of sheaths needed to cover a wall you need to know the square footage of the wall.
Square footage of a wall divided by the square footage of the sheathing (one 4' x 8' sheath = 32 sq ft) equals the number of sheath's needed.
If you have a small opening in your wall then ignore that. Run the sheathing through and cut out the opening afterward.
If you have larger openings in the wall that don't need to be sheathed subtract the square footage of these openings from the total wall square footage. However, by doing this, more than likely you will end up wasting some of the sheathing material and you would need a bit more than the actual calculated amount. Taking that into consideration, you could still end up needing the number of sheaths calculated without subtracting for wall openings.
Measure the length of your wall and the height of your wall. Multiply these together to get the total square footage of your wall.
Example wall length 12' and wall height 8' 8' x 12' = 96 square foot. A sheath measures 4' x 8'. To get the square footage of the sheath multiply 4' x 8' = 32 sq ft Take the square footage of the wall and divide this amount by the square footage of the sheath. 96 / 32 = 3 . It will take a total of 3 sheaths to cover your wall.
If you have a very small opening in your wall then ignore that.
If there is a 3' x 7' door opening and 4' x 5 ' window then calculate the square footage of these openings. 3' x 7' = 21 sq ft and 4' x 5' = 20 sq ft. Add these two amounts together 21 + 20 = 41 and subtract this combined amount of 41 from your total wall square footage.
96 sq ft of wall - 41 sq ft of openings = 55 sq ft. 55 sq ft is now what you need to cover. 51 / 32 = 1.59. Now it will take 1.59 sheaths to cover your wall. Originally there was no waste involved to cover the wall, but with cutting around the openings you will end up with some useless pieces. But in this case since, most likely you can only buy the sheaths in 4' x 8' size 2 sheaths should be enough for this wall. With different walls and openings you will have to consider adding a waste factor.
- Exterior Wall Sheathing + Cost Calculator
- Gable Wall Upper Plate Length
- Gable (Rake) Wall Framing - Wall Height
- Plywood or OSB Sheathing Cost Comparing Calculator
- Plywood Sheathing # of Sheets for Wall or Floor Calculator
- Roof Truss Height
- Steel Stud Wall
- Stud Count
- Stud Length Increase - Gable Wall Framing
- Stud Wall Framing Calculator + Cost
- Sub Floor Material Calculator
- Stud Wall Framing Material Calculator
- Wall Framing Calculator (mulitple walls)
- Wall Section, Stud and Plate Cost (Metric)
- Deck Material plus Cost for Joist and Decking
- Deck Material, Joist plus Decking
- Number of Pales Needed for a Deck Railing
- Drop in Inches from a Slope in a Percentage
- Stair Riser Height
- Rough Framing, Stairs Material Plus Cost
- Number of Stair Risers Based on Building Code
- Stair Design
- Stair Slope in Degrees and Rise and Run Relationships
- Stair Well Floor Opening Size
- Stringer Length