Number of Risers Based on Building Code (Metric)
This calculator calculates the minimum and maximum amount of risers in a flight of stairs based on the max and min unit rise allowed for your local building code.
The minimum and maximum allowed riser height can and will differ and you will have to check what it is for your local area.
In our area for private stairs, stairs that service single dwelling units, the max rise is 20 cm (200mm) and the min rise is 12.5cm ( 125mm)
Number of Stair Risers
- the total rise of the stairway (floor to floor height in metres)
- unit rise minimum height (the minimum riser height as per your local building code in centimetres)
- unit rise maximum height (the maximum riser height as per your local building code in centimetres)
- the total rise in centimetres
- maximum number of risers that can be in your flight of stairs
- minimum number of risers that can be in your flight of stairs
Note: When rebuilding stairs in an existing home the total rise should be measured to below the finishing material of the upper floor to allow for finishing the stair treads.