Gable Roof - Wood Shingles Calculator
Calculate the amount of wood shingles needed for a gable roof.
Species used for wood shingles usually depends on what is available in your area. There are many kinds that can be used including Redwood, Cedar, Pine, Spruce, Fir, Oak etc. (Keep in mind that not all types of trees belonging to a certain species are suitable for use as shingles.)
- Enter the length of the building. (feet+inches)
- Enter the width of the building. (gable wall side, feet+inches)
- Enter the overhang of the eaves. (inches)
- Enter the overhang of the gable. (inches)
- Enter the pitch of the roof: (rise /12")
- Enter a waste factor (percentage)
The wood shingles calculation is based on:
Shingles coverage of one roofing square (100sqft) = 4 bundles @ 5" exposure, 1 bundle covers 25 square feet @ 5" exposure.
It adds 1 bundle for every 60 lineal feet of perimeter starter course.
It adds 1 bundle for every 25 lineal feet of ridge.
If you are planning to use premade capping for the ridge subtract the amount for Ridge from total bundles needed.