Hip Roof Asphalt Shingles Calculator - Metric
Calculate the amount of asphalt or fiberglass shingles needed to cover a Hip roof online
A hip roof's square footage is equal to that of a gable roof with the same dimensions. The difference is in the amount of ridge capping you need and the amount you will waste. The top ridge will be shorter for a hip roof, but the 4 hips will add to the amount of ridge capping needed and because of the angles the amount of waste will be higher than for a similar sized gable roof.
With all the different types of shingles available, not all packs are equal in the amount of pieces they contain, the length of the individual shingle and the square metre coverage per pack. Not all types of shingles can be used for the starter strip and the ridge capping needed or you could be using ridge caps to cover the top ridge and the hips. That is why this calculator requires "the square metres one pack will cover" and the results for starter strip and ridge capping is in lineal metres needed for those two items and is not included in the "Total Packs Needed".
- Enter the length of the building. (metres)
- Enter the width of the building. (metres)
- Enter the overhang of the eaves. (millimetres)
- Enter the pitch of the roof. (degrees)
- Enter the square metres one pack will cover. (sq. M.)
- Enter a waste factor. (percentage)
The ResultsRoof Area = total square metres of the roof.
Ridge length = top ridge plus the 4 hips in lineal metres.
Starter Strip = the perimeter of the roof in lineal metres.
Total Shingles Needed = The number of packs needed to cover the roof but does not add additional packs needed for ridge capping and starter strips.
- Gable Roof - Asphalt Shingles
- Gable Roof - Sheathing - Imperial
- Gable Roof - Sheathing - Metric
- Gable Roof - Square Footage
- Gable Roof - Square Metres
- Gable Roof - Wood Shingles
- Gambrel Roof - Asphalt Shingles
- Gambrel Roof - Square Footage
- Gambrel Roof - Wood Shingles
- Hip Roof - Asphalt Shingles
- Hip Roof - Asphalt Shingles Metric