Gable Wall Top Plate Length
Calculate the length of the top plate based on the horizontal plate's length and the slope ratio of the roof.
There are different ways to approach this, but in its simplest form calculate the diagonal length using Pythagoras, c = square root (a² + b²)
Example calculation:slope ratio = 5 : 12
bottom plate, length a = 15'-5" = 185"
using the slope factor and length a to calculate the height of leg b
5 ÷ 12 = 0.4166666666667 * 185 = 77.083333
multiplying the decimal by 16 (Fraction Precision)
0.083333 * 16 = 1.3 rounded to 1. the fraction becomes 1/16"
leg b = 77 1/16"
185² + 77 1/16² = 40166.84
square root of 40166.84 = 200.4166
multiplying the decimal by 16
0.4166 * 16 = 6.7 rounded to 7. The fraction becomes 7/16"
Adding them together making leg c, the diagonal plate, 200 7/16"
Diagonal Plate Length
- the slope ratio, inches per foot
- length of bottom plate
- largest fraction used in result
- length in inches
- length of diagonal plate (short to long)
- Exterior Wall Sheathing + Cost Calculator
- Gable Wall Upper Plate Length
- Gable (Rake) Wall Framing - Wall Height
- Plywood or OSB Sheathing Cost Comparing Calculator
- Plywood Sheathing # of Sheets for Wall or Floor Calculator
- Roof Truss Height
- Steel Stud Wall
- Stud Count
- Stud Length Increase - Gable Wall Framing
- Stud Wall Framing Calculator + Cost
- Sub Floor Material Calculator
- Stud Wall Framing Material Calculator
- Wall Framing Calculator (mulitple walls)
- Wall Section, Stud and Plate Cost (Metric)
- Deck Material plus Cost for Joist and Decking
- Deck Material, Joist plus Decking
- Number of Pales Needed for a Deck Railing
- Drop in Inches from a Slope in a Percentage
- Stair Riser Height
- Rough Framing, Stairs Material Plus Cost
- Number of Stair Risers Based on Building Code
- Stair Design
- Stair Slope in Degrees and Rise and Run Relationships
- Stair Well Floor Opening Size
- Stringer Length