During this stage of building everything seems to go very quickly. It is important to be organized and know when each trade is required and what they might need to complete their job. Have you chosen your light fixtures, closet organizers and flooring yet?
The materials needed for framing should be delivered by the lumber yard. If you are using an engineered flooring system, that should also be on site when framing starts
Calculate the number of studs, plates and sheathing material needed:
Wall Material Calculator
- Your trusses should have been ordered at this time and scheduled for delivery.
- Once framing starts establish when the windows and exterior doors should be delivered.
- Apply for a gas meter, especially in winter time. It could take a bit of time before they come to install it.
- At this time you should be sure of the layout of your house; discuss any changes with your framer. Alterations later on can be messy and costly. Drop by at the end of the day's work. And do not forget that they are there to make a living. Make sure they can do their job by having the materials on site when they are needed.
- Be certain to discuss with your Framer the work which will be included in the quote he gave you. For example supplying nails, framing up sidewalks and the driveway, back framing, etc ...
If trusses in your area are delivered without a boom truck, and the framers are ready to place the trusses you may have to arrange for a crane to be on site. If the plywood for the roof has not yet been delivered, make sure it is here at the same time.
Note: Too many people working at the same time could create problems. Each trade needs space and time to do a proper job.
Note: Rough in plumbing should be started before the Heating because they are more restricted. For instance, a bathtub or toilet drain will have to be exactly where they have to be and you can be 100% sure that if the heating guy comes first, ductwork will be installed in a run right below one of those drains.
- Cabinet sales person should come down and mark out the layout of all the cabinets.
- If possible have the large items, such as bath tubs and showers brought in during framing. If this is impossible then some studs might have to be removed to create enough room for the items to fit through easily.
Roof vents should be installed before the roofers go to work.
Note: It is very important that the Heating & Plumbing Trades know where the cabinets are to be installed.
- In general heat ducting does not require inspections before framing inspection.
- Do make sure after installation that they do not cause annoying squeaks. It is a good plan to find the squeaks now, and have them fixed.
- If you are getting a fireplace don't get one that looks nice, make sure it is an efficient heating unit. Direct vented, glass sealed fireplaces are usually the best.
- In a finished basement, if you are not installing it at this time, a rough with pipes and lines required for AC or heat pump is good to include.
Once the Framers are done with the roof and all the vents have been installed it is time for the Roofers to do their work.
- Roofers will supply roof vents for the ventilation of your attic and they will able to place them in the spots as required by code. If not you hired the wrong Roofer!
Electricians start with their wiring.
Note: It is very important that the Electrician knows where the cabinets are to be installed.
Note: Walk through the house with the Electrician and show them where you want all the outlets to be installed. Think of a place for a Christmas light plug with a switch inside.
- Good quality stove and bathroom fans are a good investment and well worth the extra cost.
- Electricians will install network, cable and telephone wires. If not contact your phone and cable company, to install the necessary wires.
- Even if you are not planning to purchase a satellite disk, running a wire at this time makes a lot of sense.
- Consider pre-wiring for a speaker system.
After the exterior doors and windows are installed, the house can be locked up. This is usually when you can request your first draw if you have a construction type mortgage.
- Make sure the windows price includes screens, night locks, and liners if desired. It is very frustrating when you do not notice that the excellent price you got does not include these items.
- A very nice alternative to vinyl windows are wood windows. Very classy.
- The exterior doors and windows should be delivered at the time the framers are finishing with the roof.
Most likely the trades will call for their respective required inspections and these should all be done and approved before you call for a framing inspection.
Building inspector from City Hall.
- Although, at times, it may seem that the Inspectors only purpose is to create problems for you, do not ever forget that they are doing a job which concerns the safety and to some extend the quality of your home. Any infractions you get should be fixed. You will almost always get some, but at least you know that they are doing their job. At times they will have suggestions, and with few exceptions, they will be most helpful.