If you haven't already done so you must soon choose the type of doors, windows, garage doors, siding or stucco, trim, brick, furnace, fireplace, cabinets, bathtub & shower.
If you want an alarm system now or sometime in the future you should have the house pre wired.
- The following two items should be installed after the heating, plumbing and electrical trades are finished with their rough in jobs.
- For alarm systems check out the difference between systems before deciding. It is no longer cheap to get a house rough wired for this purpose and a wireless system could be as good an option for you as hardwired.
The rough-in for a built-in Vacuum System should also be installed now.
- Even if you do not want a built-in vacuum it is much easier and cheaper to have them roughed-in now. If you decide to sell the house some day it is a good selling feature.
After you get your framing inspection approved, the Insulation can now be brought in and installed. If you use blown insulation in the ceilings it has to wait till after the ceilings are boarded.
- Make sure the house is clean and no materials are in the way or interfere in anyway with the installation of the Insulation.
- A poly vapor barrier is placed on the warm side of exterior walls and ceilings and needs to be sealed around the windows, doors and all outlets and items protruding from these walls and ceilings.
- Note: Insulation can be used for sound proofing. Consider bathrooms, laundry rooms, bedrooms, and in between the floors.
Inspection from City Hall. The blown ceiling insulation will be inspected during the Final Inspection.
- Drywall should be delivered after the Insulation is installed and inspected.
- Also make sure the floors are clean before drywall delivery.
Boarding can be started after the insulation has been inspected and approved by the inspector.
- Boarding goes quickly. The taping and sanding depends on the time of year and what kind of heat you can supply. You may have to get a heater from the Rental Company.
- Any additional sound proofing you require can be done by the boarders. For example; sound bars, donnaconna board etc...
The house must receive a thorough cleaning before the finishing is begun.
- If you haven't already done so don't forget to pick out your light fixtures.
- Baseboards can be nailed in place before carpets are installed. Raise them by placing a 3/8" spacer underneath and then nail them in place. There shouldn't be any problems with the carpet installation doing it this way.
- Installing baseboards first when you are installing tile or lino is possible but you will get a much nicer look when you do it after the installation of these types of flooring.
- If you are installing laminate or hardwood flooring then the baseboards should be installed after the flooring is installed.
- Some painters like to pre-paint the mouldings before installation and some won't touch them until they are installed.
There are many different types and styles of mouldings to choose from and they come in either paint or stain grade.
- Mouldings can be used in many ways to hide things or accent walls, windows and doorways.
- If you are doing your own finishing work, using paint grade material is much more forgiving.
If you are in a rush, the painter should paint the kitchen and bathrooms first so that cabinets can be installed.
- The painter will also do all the caulking of the trim to make it appear almost seamless.
- If you wish to do the painting and decorating yourself, there are many shops which will have everything you need along with advice and ideas.
If you are installing linoleum in your kitchen or bathrooms it wouldn't hurt to install these before cabinet installation.
- Although some people may disagree and want to install the cabinets before the lino we feel that if you install the lino first, the lino will have fewer cuts in it, which might eventually break or curl and there is less chance of moisture seeping under the lino and weakening the glue.
- If you do it yourself, tile, hardwood and laminate flooring are also easier to install before cabinet installation. Have to be a bit more careful with the cabinet installation.
When the Painter is finished painting the rooms where Cabinets are to be installed, the Cabinets should be delivered and installed.
- The best way is get several quotes; most will be basically the same price, some higher some lower. The quality of materials used is sometimes overlooked, so always double check the cheaper prices. They may not be worth it.
Any Tile work can now be done.
- Remember, too many people in the house at the same time is not a good idea.
The kitchen and bathroom fixtures should be installed.
- At this time they will install the sinks, taps and toilets, they will hook-up the water tank.
In each closet you will probably want shelves and/or rods, there are many types to chose from.
- Closet shelving should be installed after the closets have been painted. It is much easier to do touchups if needed than paint around the shelving.
The Electrician will now hang the Light Fixtures and put on the wall plates.
- The light fixtures could also be installed as soon as the boarding and taping is finished. With textured ceilings that should be no problem and you would have a good source of light to finish your projects.
Blinds and/or curtains may be put in after painting is done.
With some exceptions your flooring should be the last thing installed. You do not want your new floor scratched.
Save up to 80% on quality hardwood flooring
Free Flooring Samples! No Credit Card Required
- Hardwood flooring or engineered flooring is durable, clean and can look very beautiful and comes in many styles and colours.
- If you have pets, consider installing a good quality of laminate. It is much more durable and won't scratch as easily as other types of flooring.
After the painting is done, cabinets installed, and all tile work is done, basically when all the sub trades are finished, carpets can be installed.
- The Carpet should be the very last thing that gets installed. You do not want any stains even before you have had chance to make the first one.
- Clean: Even though most of the trades people clean up their own mess, you want to make very sure that especially the floor is clean and nothing is protruding before any flooring is installed. At this time also take out the time to check your sub floor one more time to make sure it is screwed properly.
After all the installations are completed the finishing carpenter should finish of his work and the painter needs to come back and do the final touch-ups and repairs as required..
Final inspection is done by the building department that issued your permit and when this inspection is approved you will receive your Occupancy Permit.
- Some municipalities will, if asked, allow you to move in without an Occupancy Permit, and some will fine you if you do. Ask!