Wall Paint Calculator - Metric
How much paint do you need?
On the paint can the manufacture will indicate what the sq. meters is what the can of paint will cover. Depending on the brand and type of paint you can get anywhere from 12 to 16 square meters of coverage per litre. The actual coverage will depend on the texture of the wall and the colour you are using to paint. A smooth wall will take less paint than a rough textured wall. Covering a lighter colour wall with darker colour paint will take less paint than painting a lighter colour over a dark colour wall. In addition to all that, the way you apply the paint, equipment you use to paint with and how much paint ends up on you or the floor versus the wall, will have an impact on how much paint you need.
To use this calculator:
- measure the length of your wall and enter it this result in the "Wall Length" field.
- measure height of the wall from above the baseboards to the ceiling and enter this in the "Wall Height" field.
- if there are windows and doors in your wall calculate the total square meters of these and enter that in the "Window/Door openings" field.
- if you know the coverage of your paint add that to the "Area covered by one litre of paint" field.
- enter the number of coats you require in the "How many coats" field.
Flooring, Tiles, Paint & Wallpaper Calculators
Starter Board Size for Hardwood or Laminate Flooring
Wall and Trim Paint
Tiles Needed for Tiling an Area in Square Feet
Tiles: Area Tiling Layout
Tiles Needed for Tiling an Area in Square Meters